These are the prices of most of the transgender surgeries (gender-affirming surgeries) at Helen Joseph Government/Public Hospital in Johannesburg (below). Please read this important information: (If you have any updates to this information, please contact me).
BUT: Please remember – I am a nonbinary trans person who has only had top surgery (double mastectomy/chest masculinisation surgery. I also had the double incision with a small inverted-T incision and went with the no nipples option. So ALL the information I have is here. Please do not ask me any more questions. This is all I know.
General information to take note of:
- The clinic (Breast and Plastic Surgery) is THE best in South Africa, as confirmed by many cisgender women who use it for post-cancer reconstruction of breasts. When you speak to the women in the queue who have been going there for years, they will tell you only good things. These doctors train other doctors. They are therefore as good, if not better, as plastic surgeons in private practice.
- The staff at Helen Joseph are AMAZING, from nurses, to security, to Doctors. They are SUPER helpful and friendly if you remain calm and friendly. The system is what it is, but works very well if you just keep asking which queue you should be in and double-checking all the time. But:
- These surgeries are called “sex change” surgeries by some of the doctors at Helen Joseph, which is a completely incorrect and outdated term, but necessary for their processes, so best is just to nod and agree even though it is extremely triggering. Some of the doctors also misgender you and use a lot of other problematic trans terminology. They do NOT know what nonbinary is, so for the purposes of getting the healthcare you need, play along with them and refer to yourself as the relevant FTM or MTF.
- While this is problematic and causes dysphoria and justified anger, this is the process right now. We can choose to refuse service and get upset, and then go and pay 3-10x the prices at private hospitals. Or we can choose to make the very difficult decision to play along with these difficulties at a hospital where they DO understand that this is for your health, and they ARE VERY sympathetic and they UNDERSTAND that you are not sick, but need these surgeries to be healthy. So my advice is focus on their genuine care and concern, deal with the dysphoria and anger caused by the outdated language (this is NOT their fault, but the South African healthcare’s fault in general) and get the healthcare you need that you can ACTUALLY afford.
I have posted the step by step process to follow, as well as which referral letters and documents to bring with you, for opening a hospital files and getting to the relevant clinic, and then more detail about top surgery (breast removal / double mastectomy) here. I am a nonbinary trans guy, so do not have as much info on the MTF/nonbinary side of things. So please don’t ask me any more information than I have here. Please call the hospital or visit the hospital.
List of gender-affirming surgeries
(not sure if completely comprehensive list, but this is what I was given). I also, as a nonbinary person who do not want any of the other surgeries, so I don’t know what all of them mean, so please don’t ask me.
- Price for breast implants below the image.
- Breast augmentation (implants): R10,000. Can be cheaper if you ask the surgeon for the contact details of the reps for the implants they use. If you buy the implants from the rep yourself, it is up to R5,000 cheaper.
- Payment for each surgery needs to be made in full before a bed will be booked.
- There are NO payment terms.
- These prices are for people who cannot afford medical aid or private surgery rates.
- These are prices for Helen Joseph Hospital, Auckland Park, Johannesburg.
- These are the prices as @ February 2016.
FOR ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT COSTS OF PROCEDURES NOT ON HERE, PLEASE PHONE THE HOSPITAL. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, IT WILL BE BETTER TO GO TO THE RELEVANT CLINIC. (YOU CAN FIND OUT CLINIC DAYS BY CALLING THE HOSPITAL – THE CLINICS ARE NOT OPEN EACH DAY!)